Viola!

I am one of those people who find spelling and grammar errors in other people’s writing.  I try not to be too critical of other people’s writing.  I know it’s easy to have typos and sometimes when people are  just typing a quick note, they don’t feel the need to edit for proper word usage.

But my new pet peeve is VIOLA! (pronounced vee-oh-luh) Come on people, a viola is a stringed instrument that is slightly larger than a violin. The interjection used to express satisfaction is spelled  VOILA! (pronounced vwa-lah). I have seen this mistake recently in several e-mails, but yesterday I saw it in our local newspaper! It’s not a major newspaper, but we are the 4th largest city in North Carolina.  I would have expected someone to catch it.

But serve rice and beans together and — viola! — you have a complete protein, a dish that contains all of the essential amino acids.

Has anybody else noticed this mistake?  Maybe I’m just being too picky.

By Kristen H.

Comments & Responses

6 Responsesso far.

1. ReviewsbyHeidi says:

I'm laughing because I'm the exact same way. I know I make mistakes on my blog, though, because I'm always in a hurry to get something (anything) posted! When I find them in books, though, it really makes me upset!

2. Tinab says:

haha that's funny!!! Can't you just hear an Italian accent (and no offense to Italians)…"But serve rice and beans together and — (imagine them kissing their fingers, making a loud kissing noise and then opening their fingers up to exaggerate the movement) VEEEE OOOOO LAAAHHH". hahaha that cracks me up!!

3. SevenSmiths says:

I notice mistakes everywhere. One of the perks of being a former English teacher, I suppose. I want to carry my red pen around with me and correct newspapers, stores signs, church bulletins, and more! Yet I refrain–as I just might offend someone. Even though sometimes it is painful to view, much as listening to fingernails being scraped on a chalkboard is painful to listen to!

4. Lachney1 says:

Yeah, I can point out mistakes in people's writings too. If I don't know how to spell something, I will look it up, before I write it down for someone else to read. It bothers me if someone misspells something, but I don't usually say anything to them, unless it's my children, so that they will know how to spell it next time.

Blessings,

Penny

5. Sheri says:

Hi again, ok I think I have the correct code up now for your award-please head back to http://www.1of100toscrewreviews.blogspot.com to collect it …thanks

6. Jolanthe says:

LOL! Spelling mistakes drive me crazy (and I know that I do make them every now and then too), but I try to be so careful about it.

My biggest peeve is "oops" – I see more people spell it "opps". Sigh.